PDA

View Full Version : Ex Battery Hens

Debs
21st February 2011, 10:32 PM
Hi there

Hope its ok to post this on here.

I'm involved with two different Ex Batt rescue organisations, HRUK Fresh Start for Hens, and Free At Last.

We are always looking for homes for hens. The more homes we get the more girls we can take out of the cages.

HRUK have rehomings every couple of months, and hens go out to co-ordinators all over the country. The next will be sometime in April.

Free At Last are more frequent, but more localised. Mainly Bedfordshire and North West Essex.
The next rehoming for FAL is 5th March 2011.

If you are considering getting hens please consider Ex Batt girls. They have worked so hard in such horrid conditions that they all deserve their day in the sunshine instead of the fate that awaits them otherwise.

Please pm me if you would like to rehome, or would like some information about keeping hens.

Thank you

debs

kelly-joy
22nd February 2011, 03:08 PM
Does any one want a Hen or two :why:

louise22
22nd February 2011, 03:46 PM
I am too far away really, sorry

Debs
24th February 2011, 10:14 PM
Hen Rehomers go more or less countrywide, so no excuses!! :supersmile:

louise22
24th February 2011, 11:44 PM
Still waiting on news of my home check but I have space for 1 hen if we can get it to Warrington or surrounding area

Debs
26th February 2011, 10:10 PM
Hi
The rescues I'm involved in don't normally homecheck unless someone has requested a large number of hens.

Is the one hen to go in with an existing flock? Not a good idea to introduce one on her own. Gives the established girls a single focus when they are re-establishing the pecking order.

If no existing hens, it's a bad idea to have one hen on her own. They are social birds and need to be in a group. Ideally you should have three which avoids one being left on her own if you lose one.

Hen Rehomers will be having a rehoming in April and I'm sure there will be a co-ordinator covering your area louise.

Kybosh
28th February 2011, 03:24 PM
I'm hoping to have hens in the future, maybe not in time for this rehoming as I need to clearout the area where they would go, but hopefully this year and I'd happily take more than three.

I've been talking about it for a while so hopefully it won't come as too much of a shock to the husbeast ;)

Debs
28th February 2011, 07:21 PM
Excellent! You'll never regret having chookas, they are fab timewasters :supersmile:

alexhall
3rd March 2011, 04:53 PM
I'd be happy to have some if there's a local co-ordinator - I'm in Keighley (BD22) West Yorkshire.

bigdaddy
8th March 2011, 02:56 PM
would love to help and have a couple but untill i find my cockerel a new home cant have any

Debs
10th March 2011, 09:55 PM
You can check out any animal rescue/sanctuaries in your area. If they don't take cockerels, they could probably put you in touch with someone who can.

bigdaddy
11th March 2011, 09:33 PM
lovely thanks didnt no that

Debs
13th March 2011, 05:35 PM
No problem, good luck :)

Walkers hounds
21st March 2011, 12:05 AM
Hi i got room for about 3 hens but live in north wales :)

JennyC
21st March 2011, 12:07 AM
Andrea it's worth contacting them anyway as they may be able to tell you of some closer if they can't help themselves.

Walkers hounds
21st March 2011, 12:09 AM
ok Jenny thanks x

Animals in Distress
28th March 2011, 10:35 AM
We could take a few battery hens we took in 244 in one go a year or two back and homed all but 4. If you are struggling please give us a call.

ChesterCatCare
28th March 2011, 08:55 PM
Hello,

I know someone looking for hens in Chester (CH3). Maybe could arrange some kind of joint transport with Louise22 as Warrington not terribly far from me? Nor is the North Wales one, so happy to pick up theirs too - might as well save some diesel if we can!

Any info on where in the country can pick up?

Anna

Debs
29th March 2011, 08:28 PM
If you go onto the Fresh Start for Hens website you will be able to see which collection points are available, and book yours hens. Their next rescue date is Sat 9th April by the way!

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/

Animals in Distress
10th June 2011, 03:09 PM
I offered home for up to 100 but heard nothing. We are an animal sanctuary with 75 acres and all birds are out during the day.

kelly-joy
10th June 2011, 03:16 PM
:cry3: will pm to see if they got your message, maybe it got miss laid :why: