PDA

View Full Version : Australian sheepdog needs a home!

Terriergirl
27th February 2011, 06:01 PM
Name: Pixie
Breed: Australian sheepdog (Kelpie)
Sex: Female
Neutered: No. She is due to be spayed middle of next month. If she's rehomed before then, you will have to get her spayed
fully vaccinated: As far as I'm aware
micro chipped: Unknown
de fled: Yes. About two weeks ago
wormed: I'm getting her wormed next week when I take her vets

Reason for for re homing: I brought Pixie off her owner for £100 on the 8th of Feb as she was being neglected and bred for money. My intention was too keep her but my landlord says she's too big and wants her out
Are they used to dogs: Untested inside the home. She'll greet a dog she knows and will invite them in. She is fine with dogs outside
Are they used to cats: Yes but will growl if they go near her food. Also if they run, she will give chase but is not aggressive
Are they used to children: Yes
if so what age: She gets on fine with my 9 mth old and four yr old girl so any age though she's a big dog so will suit children over 5 really
Do they have any toileting problems: No
Do they have any behaviour problems: Yes - she has a SA problem and can get destructive if left alone. I've only witnessed the howling and scratching of doors so far
Do they have any medical problems: Unknown but probably not - due for a vets check up next week
Period of time they are left alone: None. She has an SA problem
what type of home are you looking for: A home where there is always someone in, an active home where she'll get walked regularly.
Will they need to go to training classes: Unless it's to do with training her to work then no. A behavioural class to help her stop getting anxious when left downstairs at night may help
Exercise requirements: Kelpies are extremely energetic so need plenty of exercise or will become destructive
How urgently they do you need them out of the home: I've been given till the end of March at the very latest

Transport: I don't drive so you'll have to collect her. I will ring your local rescue and see if they can home check you for me if you live outside of the Angelsey area

I'm not totally against putting her in a rescue as long as she'll be put in a foster home, not a kennel environment and they have a non-destruct policy

There is two rules I expect you to abide by : If she hasn't been spayed by the time she's left my care, you MUST get her done and I expect you to sign an agreement to update me on her progress for four weeks and you must return her to me if you can't keep her within those four weeks
This is because she's been messed about too much and I don't want her to fall in the wrong hands or be kennelled

Other information:

Pixie is a med/large sized bitch
Due to her history, she has seperation anxiety (SA) and it's quite bad
Pixie has previously given birth to pups (I believe this was 7 mths ago)
She won't drink out a dog bowl, only puddles or a bucket of rain water
She isn't/won't be suited to kennel life
This is Pixie's 6th home (she was sold 5 times by her owner to unsuitable homes just to be returned)
Pixie has just finished her season
She is a very affectionate girl who aims to please
Pixie has fantastic recall, is good off the lead but she has no road sense
Good on the lead but pulls at the beginning
She was previously broughtup with a 1yr old boy but for some reason, doesn't like boys. She's not aggressive, just scared. She does however, love men
Pixie is a fast learner and loves playing with sticks
She likes playing tug of war with ropes but doesn't bother playing with balls
She doesn't like footballs, buses or people/animals standing too close to the house (she'll go up to the window and growl)
Pixie is slightly overweight and enjoys her food. She'll only eat Morrisons/Tescos own brand wet dog food but will eat any mixer with it
She is fed two whole cans of dog food + mixer a day plus bones. Sometimes she gets fed three cans cuz she's crafty ;)
She's very obedient but occasionally barks if excited - a quick sharp SHH! works

I don't think I've missed anything out so here's a photo :

jerry
27th February 2011, 06:08 PM
Aww bless her shes lovely, good luck Pixie :)

jerry
27th February 2011, 06:44 PM
contacted rescues :crossed:

FriendsOfTheAnimalsRCT
27th February 2011, 06:51 PM
Sorry we aren't able to help as we have no foster homes available for young dogs or sep anxiety dogs :(

Try http://webstarter.netbenefit.com/users/ ... ritian&a=1 (http://webstarter.netbenefit.com/users/www.betterlifeforyourdog.com/index.php?f=data_kelpie_rescue_of_great_britian&a=1) xx

jerry
27th February 2011, 06:56 PM
Thankyou Kay :rose:

Terriergirl
27th February 2011, 07:04 PM
I'm pretty sure I've contacted them but will try again thanks :rose:

jerry
27th February 2011, 07:06 PM
Sorry we aren't able to help as we have no foster homes available for young dogs or sep anxiety dogs :(

Try http://webstarter.netbenefit.com/users/ ... ritian&a=1 (http://webstarter.netbenefit.com/users/www.betterlifeforyourdog.com/index.php?f=data_kelpie_rescue_of_great_britian&a=1) xx

Have contacted thanks :)

JennyC
27th February 2011, 11:05 PM
Tweeted

Terriergirl
28th February 2011, 12:57 PM
Can I just add that Pixie, who never took notice of any sheep behind the fence, rounded up some loose sheep yesterday. Her technique wasn't the best = lots of barking = but she was circling them and got them back in the field so she certainly has a herding instinct of sorts. It's lucky the farmer wasn't around as he's a right grump lol.

jerry
2nd March 2011, 04:22 PM
Little Pixie, has back up :rock: Kelpie welfare is taking her :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: