PDA

View Full Version : Byron not well

crazydiamond
26th August 2009, 03:24 PM
Had to take Byron to see the vet this afternoon. He was retching alot, very loudly and not bringing anthing up. I gave him some Gaviscon and after about 10 mins he appeared alot better. However within an hour he was bringing up gloopy watery stuff with white foam in and he did not look a happy bunny. So on the phone to the vet and in the surgery 12 mins later. The vet carried out a lengthy external examination of Byrons gut, took temp which was a little high at 102, took bloods to check up on cell counts, liver, spleen & kidney functions and numerous other things all of which will be done on site and I will have results between 4.30 and 7pm. He was weighed and is about 61 kilos which is a nice weight for him. He had an injection of Metacam as he has sensitive places in his tummy and gut, some antibiotics in an injection and an anti sickness injection too. We are to keep a close eye on him for the next 24 ~ 36 hrs and bring him back tomorrow about the same time to be checked up on. He got to travel back sitting in the front of the car as he just couldnt make it into the back and we didnt think he would want to be manhandled in. He loved sitting in the front all belted in. He was lively enough at the vets showing interest in dog whining and cats crying from in the hospital part of the surgery and he wanted his biscuit from the tub as soon as he had the last injection. As usual he was a very good boy at the vets. We were there for over half an hour. As Byron had his gastroplaxy(stomach stitched inside to the right hand side) last year after his bloat & torsion there is no reason to think anything has gone amiss there. The fact that 5 days ago he was a very windy boy with a sick bottom and that since yesterday afternoon has been normal, though of greater quantity than ususal, bodes well for him apparantly. The vet sems to think it could be that Byron may well have an infection and if it wasnt for the gastroplaxy he may well have bloated up.

Byron is presently lounging on my sofa which is a privilage for him as he is usually only allowed on the other sofa. He is only allowed half hi dinner tonite ~ Byron will not be impressed with that I know. Especially as he only had half a brekkie too.

JennyC
26th August 2009, 03:27 PM
Poor Byron - Hope your feeling better soon little man. :ghug:

marypoppins
26th August 2009, 03:37 PM
Oh poor baby. :squeeze: I have my :crossed: for him that all's clear tomorrow. And he'd just eaten something that hadn't agreed with him.

vickylizzy
26th August 2009, 03:48 PM
Poor Byron! :( Keeping everything crossed here for him too. Please give him a big cuddle tonight from me. :ghug: I hope the results show it's nothing too serious. :)

crazydiamond
26th August 2009, 04:12 PM
Vet has rang and bloods are good/good enough. Small meals, no exercise take him back tomorrow. Vet thinks now an infection has indeed upset his gut and tummy. Hope full this will mean in a few days he will be fine again. :)

kelly-joy
26th August 2009, 04:23 PM
:crossed: :crossed: :crossed: he will be back to his old shelf soon :squeeze:

marypoppins
26th August 2009, 05:43 PM
That's brilliant news. Not that he has an infection :doh: that it's not anything serious. :squeeze:

mollysmum
26th August 2009, 05:48 PM
I hope Byron recovers well and is feeling much better soon. :)

marypoppins
2nd September 2009, 08:21 PM
How's Byron getting on. I hope he's feeling much better now. :cathug:

crazydiamond
2nd September 2009, 10:26 PM
Sorry guys .. .. .. .thanks for asking. Byron is alot better now thanks and all dogs in the house are working their way through kc right now as it turns out that is what was wrong with Byron. I did worry about Byron later on Sunday as he appeared to have no control of his bladder, this carried on through most of Monday so I rang the vet. However he was fine through Monday night and all of Tuesday so I didnt take him to see the vet then, he has been fine today apart from a few coughs here and there ~ hes not snotty now either which is a blessing when one has a Dane!

vickylizzy
2nd September 2009, 10:31 PM
Oh no! It seems to be making the rounds at the moment. :( Please give them all a big hug from me and I hope they feel better soon. :hug:

marypoppins
3rd September 2009, 09:27 AM
I'm so glad they are feeling better. Give them all bug hugs from me. :hug:

mollysmum
3rd September 2009, 02:52 PM
Oh dear. I am sorry to hear that. I hope they all get well soon. :)