PDA

View Full Version : I'm a bit sad...

ratscallions
3rd September 2009, 10:03 PM
I've been reading various threads on the forum, and it's made me suddenly realise something; I wish I'd known of a forum like this, or people like you a few years ago.

My bestfriend lives in Uganda. I went over for her wedding a few years ago. I stayed at her parets house. They had a dog (among other animals). The dog was kept outside in a cupboard. The cupboard door was closed all day. He literally lived in his own filth. He was fed scraps, if they remembered to feed him at all.

He was an absolutely gorgeous dog. They thought I was crazy; I kept going and playing with him. The first time I went around and opened the cupboard door, one of the servants came running out because they thought the dog would savage me. He jumped up at me wagging his tail and licked me all over my face. (The servant thought he was indeed savaging me until I told him it was ok). I played with him as much as I could. I also set about cleaning out the cupboard when I found something to clean it into. It was disgusting; caked in filth, wriggling in maggots .. and of course water is extremely precious there so I couldn't wash it. I had to scrape as much I could, but it wasn't very good :(

I came home absolutely determined to bring him back over here. I tried looking into quarantine, and transport, but everywhere I looked seemed to be a dead end. The last I heard my friend had given him to someone else just to ensure he wasn't locked in the cupboard anymore.

For future reference, what could or should I have actually done in such circumstances?

Nim

JennyC
3rd September 2009, 10:06 PM
I think you should have contacted the local SPCA. Most countries have them now.

I'm not sure how you'd get him here as I've never experienced anything like that.

vickylizzy
3rd September 2009, 10:26 PM
It's very difficult though. There aren't the organisations that have the scope to be able to help all of the animals over there. It's absolutely heartbreaking.

To be honest I'd have to look into it as I'm not really sure myself how you'd have gone about it but I daresay it wouldn't have been easy. :'(

maisiedarley
4th September 2009, 06:45 AM
Message from Daughter Gill:

Unfortunately it's a question of teaching and understanding the culture and needs over there. I'm afraid this kind of situation is most common in the African countries.
The USPCA does what it can, but funding and access is a huge problem.

Y'see, dogs are considered to be feral animals over there, and in some areas, even food. Neutering schemes do not exist (as the do in the UK and elsewhere).
There are working dogs (in some areas of Uganda) and these are brought in at great expense by their owners, but when their working life is done, they tend to be abandoned.

But, ultimately, in the first instance, if you see an animal suffering you should report it to the SPCA of that country.

And in this particular instance, cleaning out the "pen", I would recommend using alcohol, as water is at a premium. Besides alcohol is also a very good disinfectant!

mollysmum
4th September 2009, 12:09 PM
That is incredibly sad. The poor animals. You just feel so helpless to do anything.

I always struggle when I visit parts of Europe too. The number of strays is very distressing and I spend most of my time just feeding the animals. How people can be so cruel is beyond me. :(

Harrison
4th September 2009, 02:19 PM
You tried your best. That's all you can do.

ratscallions
4th September 2009, 04:23 PM
Thanks everyone. You know, I honestly didn't think they had an SPCA sort of thing in Uganda. My bestfriend had only just moved there, so she wouldn't know herself (she'd been living her for ten years). Thanks for informing me of it.

Miasie, please thank Gill for me. It sounds like she must be familiar with Uganda or countries in the area. I was very aware of how dogs were viewed there. And I don't judge them, since I understand that different cultures have different values etc, but I fell in love with that beautiful life *sigh*

Bless my friend, she's taken in various cats since she's been there. It can't be easy living in a country you spent so long away from :(

maisiedarley
4th September 2009, 07:39 PM
Have PM'd You ratscallions xx