PDA

View Full Version : Pet Insurance

JennyC
28th September 2009, 09:54 PM
Do you have pet insurance?
Who's it with and what does it cover?

ABC Cat Rescue
28th September 2009, 10:40 PM
I use Direct Line for all (the more policies you have with Direct Line the more discount you get too) :DD

Policy type: Essential
It covers:

Veterinary fees, up to £4000 for each condition
Death from accidental injury
Advertising and reward (if pet is lost/stolen)
Loss of pet from thft or straying
Boarding fees if you have to stay in hospital
Holiday cancellation
Third Party Liability

My excess is £80

karb30
29th September 2009, 08:50 AM
I am with Petplan, the good thing about them is that it is a cover for life policy, which means that you can claim the full amount year after year as long as you renew your policy, a lot of insurance companies dont provide this kind of cover and once you have reached your limit you cant claim any more.

I have found Petplan great have had no problems when I have made a claim which is quite often with my dog, she is never away from the vets.

Just be careful when getting pet insurance read the small print.

crazydiamond
29th September 2009, 09:15 AM
I am with Petplan, the good thing about them is that it is a cover for life policy, which means that you can claim the full amount year after year as long as you renew your policy, a lot of insurance companies dont provide this kind of cover and once you have reached your limit you cant claim any more.

I have found Petplan great have had no problems when I have made a claim which is quite often with my dog, she is never away from the vets.

Just be careful when getting pet insurance read the small print.

In case you have a larger dog, although Pet Plan do offer the best, they do cover for life BUT please bear in mind there is still an upper amount that they do not go over, I think its 6k. So if you have a large breed, say with cruciate issues which keeps recurring and requires an op or two and visit to the RVC, 6K doesnt actually go that far.

I would have to say that in my mind, Petplan is the best. My excess for Boris & Mr Trevor is £95, for the cat its £45 (I think thats right anyway)

karb30
29th September 2009, 09:30 AM
Yeah your are totally right, if you had something that serious then it may not be enough to cover the full amount, they do have about 3 different policies you can choose from, it may even be more than that, one of them is a bit higher I think it may be about 10K although dont quote me on that my level of cover each year is about 6k, there of there abouts.

mollysmum
29th September 2009, 11:23 AM
I will have to look up details of Molly's insurance too. We are with Sainsbury's. I've never had to make a claim on it though so I couldn't say how good they are at paying out. :uh:

marypoppins
29th September 2009, 03:24 PM
I'm with pet plan too. Although i to have never had to claim.

JennyC
29th September 2009, 04:16 PM
Pet plan seems to be the best then.

I'm assuming pet insurance doesn't pay for vaccs, worming, fleas, etc? I'm right aren't I?

Cats Galore Rescue
29th September 2009, 07:34 PM
Tegan is with M&S, its a life policy for up to £7k. I am going to add Elen to it when she gets to the end of her free cover. I was with Petplan last year but the renewal premium was a bit high so did a price comparison online and M&S came out just under £40 cheaper for the year

marypoppins
1st October 2009, 10:32 PM
Pet plan seems to be the best then.

I'm assuming pet insurance doesn't pay for vaccs, worming, fleas, etc? I'm right aren't I?

You are indeed right. I think we need more wishfull thinking for that one :lol:

JennyC
1st October 2009, 11:14 PM
Tegan is with M&S, its a life policy for up to £7k. I am going to add Elen to it when she gets to the end of her free cover. I was with Petplan last year but the renewal premium was a bit high so did a price comparison online and M&S came out just under £40 cheaper for the year

Sharon where did you do your comparison cos I can't find any sites that actually do a comparison ??

karb30
2nd October 2009, 12:39 PM
I have heard a lot of bad things about M&s pet insurance, have spoken to a few people who went with them because they were cheaper, the problems I have heard of is when people make claims they have tried to get out of paying for everything claimed for and it has taken a long time to get the money back from them.

Pet insurance is a bit of a minefield really read the policy carefully before you buy it to make sure its the right one for you.

Insurance companies dont cover you for worming etc as they deem it as something you should be doing anyway, and if your dog gets ill because you havent they probably wont cover you for it.

Cats Galore Rescue
3rd October 2009, 07:05 PM
Sharon where did you do your comparison cos I can't find any sites that actually do a comparison ??[/quote]

It was Moneysupermarket.com

JennyC
3rd October 2009, 10:20 PM
:thanks: very much!! Will try them!

Would everyone reccomend getting pet insurance then?

What about for cats?

ABC Cat Rescue
3rd October 2009, 10:35 PM
I'd definately recommend pet insurance. I always think "I hope nothing ever happens to my babies anyway" but with Dolly and Poppy especially being a breed prone to heart conditions and eye conditions, I would like to think I could give them the help they needed 'if' it ever came to that.

When I had cats I did add them on to my insurance, as Direct Line do a multi-pet policy which works out cheaper in cost and still you get the same good benefits.

I did find though, that insurance costs can be cheaper/more expensive depending on the breed and age of the animal. (Cavvies more expensive to ensure, but still worth it)

JennyC
9th October 2009, 11:22 PM
Anyone heard of animal friends? They are very cheap.

ABC Cat Rescue
10th October 2009, 10:44 PM
They look good. The life cover policy is a good choice