PDA

View Full Version : My Rescuing & Fostering Experience

asia snow
10th November 2009, 10:43 AM
About 3 months ago I got a call from a friend who said she had been talking to a farmer near where she lived and he was talking about getting rid of a litter of kittens living in his barn.

I contacted the farmer the same day and went over to see him and the kittens. They were about 4 weeks old, mother had left them a couple of days previously and the farmer was trying (but failing) his best to look after them. They were cold and desperately needed to see the vet. The farmer agreed I could take all 5 kittens and try to save them.

I took them straight to my local vet who put them all on drips (we weren't sure when they had last had any fluids) under heat lamps overnight, they also begun treatment for the fleas and worms. During this time I was able to prepare my sick/isolation pen (a converted under stairs cupboard with vents and window - I kid you not!). The next day when I returned to the vets all 5 were looking a little brighter and could return home with me.

After nearly 3 months with us (unfortunately we lost the smallest kitten after a couple of days) they left us for new homes in the area as healthy, happy and well adjusted kittens. They had recieved both of their first jabs and are all booked into the vets to be neutured (which I pay for) at 6 months. I got a small donation from the new owners to assist in further rescues/fosters and I am lucky that our local vets only charge me 1/2 of the normal fees.

I now am empty and waiting for the next cat/s to be in need and require my help......

marypoppins
10th November 2009, 02:06 PM
Wow good on you well done. If you are looking for more to foster have a look here. viewforum.php?f=29 (http://forum.animallifelineuk.org/viewforum.php?f=29) I know that some of the rescues do struggle, so many people fail with there first foster. I know I may have done if it hadn't been for my OH who uses his head. I'm very easilly lead by my heart.

babyloveya3
10th November 2009, 05:11 PM
well done Clare Im sure you will be snapped up by a rescue very soon
:goodonu:

JennyC
11th November 2009, 08:10 PM
well done Clare!!

vickylizzy
11th November 2009, 08:28 PM
:goodonu: Thank goodness you were there for the kittens though. It's great to hear they've gone on to lead happy healthy lives because of everything you've done for them. :cathug:

:thanks: so much for the lovely offer of help too. I'm sure it will be snapped up in no time! :P

vickylizzy
30th December 2009, 04:11 PM
Hi Clare, are you sill able to help please? :D

trisha
30th December 2009, 05:17 PM
Lovely story, well done x