PDA

View Full Version : hello from andover hampshire

toriatinks77
30th November 2009, 01:35 PM
Hello All

I am toria, mum of two children 5 and 6. Both at school fulltime and I am a fulltime stay at home mum. My younger son is Autistic and so frowned upon by many rescues, so we are unable to get a dog to join our family. We take the lady's dog a few doors down for a walk twice a day and my boys love it. We have also looked after dogs for friends and family. We have a cat who thinks he is a dog hahah, but I now the boys and me long for a dog, but with 600 for a puppy and rescue centres not liking young children and not with special needs we are never goingt o get one fulltime. We have lots of love and walks to give, maybe we can help a little friend oneday. Please dont cross us off, we have so much to give

Toria and her Boys xxxx

Cat Detective
30th November 2009, 02:14 PM
Hello and welcome to Animal Lifeline !

I used to live in Winchester so know the area well !

My friend is a fosterer, and animal homechecker, and she has a lovely son who is also autistic - he is lovely with the animals - so I am sure one of the many doggy rescues on here would be able to point you in the right direction !

marypoppins
30th November 2009, 02:29 PM
:hello: toria and a very warm :welcomesign: to the forum. I'm sure we can find a rescue on here that will be able to help you out. I have a foster dog in at the moment and my children are 2 and 4 year olds. I wish you all the luck in finding you new family member. :glwave:

vickylizzy
30th November 2009, 03:41 PM
http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu316/AnimalLifelineUK/Smilies/85184665.gif and a very warm http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu316/AnimalLifelineUK/Smilies/t0gca31b0.gif from me too!

Well you've definitely come to the right place! :)

A long time ago now, when I was at university, my housemates and I used to volunteer to look after children with autism for a couple of hours every week to give their parents/carers opportunity to go run any errands they needed to. There was one little boy who was absolutely brilliant with animals (we used to look after our neighbour's cats a lot) and I remember talking to his mum about it and she saying that they had adopted a dog and it'd been the best thing they'd done in a long time. Animals can be a great healer for some people and a brilliant companion - I think with little Jack when I saw him with his dog there seemed to be some kind of... I'm not quite sure what's the right word and whether it was some kind of connection or understanding but he really did brighten up whenever we saw him with his dog. The dog was happy and well looked after too so I think it's often more important to look at these cases individually rather than having some kind of blanket ban.

The best thing to do would be to pop a post up in the 'Homes Offered' section here: viewforum.php?f=82 (http://forum.animallifelineuk.org/viewforum.php?f=82) telling us a bit more about what kind of dog you're looking for and type of home you can offer. We have a rehoming co-ordinator who can then help you find suitable dogs in rescues. :)

:thanks: for joining and wishing you the best of luck finding your new family member! http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu316/AnimalLifelineUK/Smilies/More%20Smilies/sign0111.gif

toriatinks77
30th November 2009, 04:39 PM
Thank you all so much, fingers crossed someone see it as a plus as you all do xxxx

trisha
30th November 2009, 04:45 PM
Hi and welcome to the site. My son was diagnosed with Autism and has been brought up with animals all his life. He is now 20 years of age. He is great with animals. I would have no concerns whatsoever rehoming an animal where there is a child with autism. Personally, I would treat the child just like any other child and not use the label as an excuse just because they dont understand the condition, which I think might be the case.

Good luck in your search :grin: and we will help you in any way we can :D

trisha
30th November 2009, 04:54 PM
Thank you all so much, fingers crossed someone see it as a plus as you all do xxxx

Toria, I know many families who have children on the Autism spectrum and they have various pets, cats, dogs, hamsters, chickens, mice etc and all live happily together. Some kids with Autism BUT NOT ALL, can have allergies, are sensitive to certain noises and touch. If your son has any of these there are still dogs that would be suitable, it is just finding the correct one. If you let me know if any of these things would be a problem it will help us in our search.

Trish x

kelly-joy
30th November 2009, 05:22 PM
A warm :bigwelcome: from me too :4: :4: :4:

JennyC
30th November 2009, 05:34 PM
A HUGE :welcome: from me too

:gl: in finding a new pal for you family, I'm sure it won't take long.

toriatinks77
30th November 2009, 08:35 PM
Hello All again

Finn has sensory needs in that he requires pressure, he has a trampoline for this and a weighted blanket he sleeps with. The dog/bitch would have to be big enough to be cuddled, such as a lab size. He does not show affection in that way but just incase this was to change, he just sits near our pets with a hand on their heads, will lay beside the cat. My son spends hours outside and loves to be out all weathers, and so hence am I.

We as a family would love to have another member, colour, sex and breed really are not a worry, as long as he or she will be happy with us and you all think he is suitable for us.

please contact me if you are able to help or if I can give you any information

thanks Toria xx

trisha
30th November 2009, 08:43 PM
Hello All again

Finn has sensory needs in that he requires pressure, he has a trampoline for this and a weighted blanket he sleeps with. The dog/bitch would have to be big enough to be cuddled, such as a lab size. He does not show affection in that way but just incase this was to change, he just sits near our pets with a hand on their heads, will lay beside the cat. My son spends hours outside and loves to be out all weathers, and so hence am I.

We as a family would love to have another member, colour, sex and breed really are not a worry, as long as he or she will be happy with us and you all think he is suitable for us.

please contact me if you are able to help or if I can give you any information

thanks Toria xx

Thanks Toria that extra info will help me when helping with your search. Please keep checking for replies as Im sure when we see a dog that might be suitable we will be in touch. Trish x

trisha
30th November 2009, 08:50 PM
Hi Toria could you please put a post in the homes offered section detailing what kind of dog you are seeking, eg lab size, age etc. Basically just the same as you have said in the above post, Thanks, Trish

viewforum.php?f=82 (http://forum.animallifelineuk.org/viewforum.php?f=82)

toriatinks77
1st December 2009, 04:29 PM
hello

Have added to that page as you suggested.

Thanks again xx