View Full Version : Dwarf hamsters again

15th June 2009, 01:23 PM
Contact Details/Details of Rescue Organisation: vicky (me)
Does the animal have rescue back up?: Will take them back myself if needed

Number of animals:6
Type/Breed: dwarf hamster
Name(s): none
Sex: not sexed yet (sorry i know, here we go again. lol)
Age(s):4 weeks old
Colours: browns
Neutered: n/a
Vaccinated: n/a
Any known medical issues: n/a
Temperament: very friendly
Any known behavioural Issues: very quick little monsters
Any other information:

Reason for rehoming: unexpected pregnancy from my 3 male hamsters

Will the group be split (if more than one animal): better of in pairs but can go alone

Is transport available? No don't drive sorry

Well it's that time again. Have got a home lined up for 2 of these but still need homes for the other 6. ready to go now in pairs or another week for only one.
sorry about the bad pic's

15th June 2009, 01:25 PM
Vicky - Can you ask the vet to sex them?

Just to be on the safe side!! lol

:crossed: little hammies

15th June 2009, 01:27 PM
will do it myself later (been really busy with family troubles) just wanted to ask about while i had five minutes to post.

my vet will sex animals but charges a consult fee for his time (can't really afford £25 at the mo either)

15th June 2009, 01:31 PM
Ahhh I see, As long as you can sex them shouldn't be a problem. :D

15th June 2009, 01:46 PM
yeah no worries.
thanks for checking though (wouldn't want anybody ending up with anymore babies. lol)

15th June 2009, 02:16 PM
That was my worry!! lol

Could just imagine the world being over-run with hammies all coming from your litters!!! :ROFL:

15th June 2009, 02:33 PM
Just to add, they look like Normal Winter White hamsters. (am not good at telling if they are hybrids unless they are 'unusual colours')

For people's info, WW's CAN be kept in same sex pairs, from the same litter BUT I would ALWAYS advise anyone taking on a pair to have a second cage to hand. They are prone to falling out and once they do, they do not stay together.

I have bred and shown both Cambells and WW hamsters for over a year in the past, and I've always struggled to keep same sex pairs together with WWs (cambells I've had up to 6 in same sex groups). I know many other breeders who have similar troubles with same sex WWs

15th June 2009, 06:55 PM
Awwwww they are adorable little ones, fingers crossed for good homes soon.

15th June 2009, 08:49 PM
yes i was told i had to seperate them all, (then told they could stay together if from same litter) but fingers crossed my mum's have lived happily together for the past year. Dad is now comfort eating and very fast since being taken away from his girls though. lol

16th June 2009, 09:13 AM
please don't laugh at me when i ask this question as i'm very confused as it is.

Definatly took dad away from the mum's (as the 2 that are together now had litters at the same time)
My problen now is dad has not been near them months, just gone to clean them out and there is another litter in there (just sorting a cage to split mum's up now aswell)
Is there anyway like some other animals that this has happened between the females (i know it sounds daft) as the babies were taken out at 3 weeks old (so no way one of them could have done it)

As i say i feel really stupid for writing this down but definatly know both of these had babies together so i know i took the male away way before this litter was ever concieved

16th June 2009, 10:57 PM
Oh dear.

One possibility is delayed implantation, I read it can happen in rats sometimes when mating occours in an already pregnant doe and it "waits" if that makes sense, or very shortly after birth.

I know very little about it but I'll read up for you if you like.

Do you have enough space? and cages? I have some spare tanks.

I also have some rescue space if need be if you need it.

17th June 2009, 05:02 AM
never come across it with hamsters.

are you 100% sure the 2 you have together ARE both female? I've had some fully grown adults where it's been hard to tell..

17th June 2009, 07:58 AM
Yeah definatly both females as they had litters together (once dad was removed)

yes i have enough cages (for now) thanks. went out yesterday and got some more. Adults are now all split and splitting the older babies into two cages today.

like i say i just feel daft asking the question as i know with gerbils they can mate between same sex! (a neighbour was telling me so as her son used to breed them a long time ago) but i've never known it with hamsters.

god i'm never having more than one at a time from now on. lol.

17th June 2009, 12:38 PM
Hmmm if both female and not delayed implantation then I have no clue to be honest... I'm foxed

17th June 2009, 03:28 PM
nor me.
well they are seperated now, and got no answers so not going to confuse myself with it anymore. lol

lesson learnt will keep hamsters completely seperate from now on

17th June 2009, 03:36 PM

They are very cute! :love: How many are still looking for homes now?

17th June 2009, 08:27 PM
4 of the 8 that are ready now are reseved (there just sorting cages out for them) so 4 left.

And if mum doesn't eat this litter (no other way of putting it, sorry) there are at least 8 (from what i saw) in this new litter

18th June 2009, 08:45 AM
I had two sets of six live together quite happily for over 2 years which were rescue ones. I worried now as I have 3 female gerbils that hump each other and I never thought two females could mate to make babies :uh: :uh: :uh:

18th June 2009, 01:29 PM
I had two sets of six live together quite happily for over 2 years which were rescue ones. I worried now as I have 3 female gerbils that hump each other and I never thought two females could mate to make babies :uh: :uh: :uh:

neither did i but apparently they can.
think i'm gonna start researching little furries a bit more as i've drove myself mad the last couple of months with males being female and now female's having babies with no male about. lol

20th June 2009, 09:48 PM
wow this explains alot a few years back we bought gerbils and were told we had 2 females but one gave birth. so i split them up assuming one must be male. but now i'm thinking were they both female. i'm going to have a good look round the net to see if i can find the answer, cos now i'm just confused :dizzy:

20th June 2009, 09:58 PM
sorry to have confused you all aswell. lol. at least i'm not alone in my confusion now.

Also have 4 babies left to rehome. 2 girls and 2 boys, so if anbody knows anyone looking for some new friends, if not they will stay with me as i won't just give them away locally as wouldn't know who would end up with them.

Very friendly, but very fast little monsters

21st June 2009, 07:34 PM
I found this:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 110326.htm (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/02/090203110326.htm)

Possibly maybe?

27th June 2009, 09:03 AM
4 babies still looking for homes
2 girls, 2 boys

28th June 2009, 12:37 AM
Hiya - if you pop me over a pic of them now (As know how much they grow LOL) I can pop them on the whiskers site if that would help...

7th July 2009, 09:04 AM
this can be closed please as these babies found there new homes (just 10 more to go)

7th July 2009, 07:59 PM
That's great news! :love: :crossed: for the others!