+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you think we should do?

What do you think we should do?

I am sat here wondering what to do for the best, We at Animal Lifeline UK have started to rescue check all new rescues to us that want to take animals that come through us, we would love to be able to check the old ones but for some reason a lot of rescues that have been around for a long time take great offence when you ask if you can check them, I understand to some to degree why they don't want to as they have been running for years some much longer than we have even been around so who are we to ask them if we can check them? but then on the other hand it just makes us think that why wouldn't they want to be checked? do they have something to hide?

Rescues should be doing the following

1. Home checking all possible homes
    2. if they use foster homes , they should be home checking them
    3. Should be there to support their fosterer's with animals they have in their care, not just place them in a foster home and then let the foster get on with it on their own.
    4. Neutering all animals and if they are not neutered when adopted then they should make the new owner sign an agreement to say that they will get the animal neutered and the rescue should do follow up checks to make sure that animal has been neutered.
    5. Vaccinating animals in their care, and if they don't Vaccinate their animals before adoption they should make the new owner sign an agreement to say that they will get the animal vaccinated and the rescue should do follow up checks to make sure this is done
    6.Worm and de flea animals
    7. Should offer life time back up, so that if the animal needs to come back in the future for any reason the rescue will take that animal back.
    8. have a no kill policy

Yet rather worryingly we are hearing of rescues that are not doing any of the above

There is no law to say who can be a rescue and what policy's rescues have to have, so anyone can set up their own rescue, even back street breeders pretending to be a rescue so they can sell their off spring

We at Animal Lifeline UK care very much for the animals that come through us and do get flack for sending animals to the same few rescues, the reason behind us doing that is simple because we know those rescues do everything right and the animals get the best of care when with them.

Without checking every rescue we deal with how are we ever going to know which rescues are good and which ones are not? and this is what is really worrying me because today I have found out that 2 rescues one that is very well known by everyone doesn't home check all possible homes how are they ever going to know that the animal isn't going to the wrong place and into the wrong hands if they don't home check?

I am sat here feeling sick to my stomach worrying that maybe some of the animals we have helped in the past could be worse of than where they were in the first place and really don't know what to do for the best.

Do we carry on only helping animals that can go to rescues we trust a 100% and know do things all right or do we let animals go to rescues we aren't totally 100% sure about and risk them not going into the right rescues and them being worse off?

I doubt many of you will post answering this thread as many seemed to have vanished since we lost the forum for a month but I would really value your views on this please.

Kelly-joy Sargent Part of The Animal Lifeline UK Team
    [email protected]

ALUK Super Moderator
    Oh dear, that is a tricky one.

I would say only to go with the ones we know are 100% for the sake of the animals going into their care. However, that then narrows down the list of potential rescues willing to take on animals that need a rescue space and some of those could be pound dogs which without the rescue space will be pts.

Have those rescues that don't always homecheck given a reason as to why they don't?

Maybe the only thing to do is send out an email to new rescues asking if they would be willing to allow us to email them for space and then have a new list of rescues which do homecheck, neuter etc.. Then either forget about those other rescues which don't meet our standards or use them as a very last resort.

Not sure if I have helped or not.

I guess in time it won't be such an issue because say this time next year we will have rescue checked a lot of new rescues joining so by then we could have the luxury of sending animals only to rescues we know do everything right but as you say at the moment it is hard to know what to do as we have so many urgent animals to deal with that are at risk of being put to sleep. So do we risk not sending animals to rescues that we don't know a 100% and risk those animals being put to sleep or risk sending them not really knowing what will happen to them?
    [email protected]

ALUK Super Moderator
    "A Fate Worse Than Death" springs to mind here.

I know it was not originally meant to refer to animals, but with all the wicked things that happen to animals on a daily basis I think it fits.

That's it and that is what worries me
    [email protected]

ALUK Super Moderator
    I think we then need to stick with the ones we are 100% happy with.

I think we need to be 100% certain otherwise it could be a 'out of the frying pan and into the fire' I know some of the pound helpers are even more strict than we are so it does make spaces be at a premium but i don't see any other option. Sharing 'intel' is also a good idea.
    Sally (part of the Animallifelineuk Team)

ALUK Member
    Personally, I think it is very important to check out potential rescues for the reasons you have stated. It is important to know what their facilities are, what their policies are etc. I would extend this also to transporters and fosterers and even homecheckers. I would have no problem with anyone popping in for coffee and a chat. Of course they would have to stand as all the chairs are taken by moggies :)

It a good idea and we already check foster homes.
    A lot of these requests are urgent such as transport where its life or death for the animal so you don't really have the time to home check the transporter in question, as you know we do get full personal details of everyone that transports for us and happy to say that no animals have been stolen on route (touch wood) so far.

I think we will definitely carry on rescue checking all new rescues and hope in time that we have so many of them that we won't have to ask rescues we aren't a 100% about for help and hope that in time those rescues will not be so full to bursting and able to help with more animals.
    [email protected]

Feel free come and check out KumfyKatz Rescue anytime KJ.

We have nothing to hide.

Kettle will be on too (not that we would ever want to bribe you with a nice hot cuppa or anything)...

RSPCA came yesterday, for our licence to work more closely with them, and we passed their check, so.....

Come on over!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast