+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do you think we should do?

ALUK Member
    I think you are right to be worried and should be able to feel confident in the rescues you send 'your' animals to.

You could set up an ALUK official Policy which states that you will only allow verified and checked rescues to a) use your site, and b) that you would use/assist. Kind of an accreditation process.

Any rescue which appreciates and sees the benefit of being associated with you should be more than happy to oblige. any that are not should be put on a Black List until they change their minds.

I think you should definitely start with new rescues coming on board, but the older ones should also be checked as time allows. part of your checks could be to scrutinise the rescues Annual Report which, if they are a registered charity, would be available free through the charities commission website. though I think if they have a very small turnover (less than £5k) then I don't think they have to submit these. but it will allow you to see where their money goes so that you can be happy that from that side at least the right proportion of funds is going direct to the animals care and not into 'salary' or other non-essential uses. you could even keep this sort of info on file, so that you keep a sliding scale of rescues in terms of size and then perhaps assign some sort of grading or star rating process to them which would incorporate the results of any site checks, etc. It would mean quite a bit of admin, but I'm a whizz with spreadsheets and actually like reading through annual reports for charities (sad I know), so would be willing to help on this if this is the way you decide to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Kipa View Post
    I think you are right to be worried and should be able to feel confident in the rescues you send 'your' animals to.

You could set up an ALUK official Policy which states that you will only allow verified and checked rescues to a) use your site, and b) that you would use/assist. Kind of an accreditation process.

Any rescue which appreciates and sees the benefit of being associated with you should be more than happy to oblige. any that are not should be put on a Black List until they change their minds.

I think you should definitely start with new rescues coming on board, but the older ones should also be checked as time allows. part of your checks could be to scrutinise the rescues Annual Report which, if they are a registered charity, would be available free through the charities commission website. though I think if they have a very small turnover (less than £5k) then I don't think they have to submit these. but it will allow you to see where their money goes so that you can be happy that from that side at least the right proportion of funds is going direct to the animals care and not into 'salary' or other non-essential uses. you could even keep this sort of info on file, so that you keep a sliding scale of rescues in terms of size and then perhaps assign some sort of grading or star rating process to them which would incorporate the results of any site checks, etc. It would mean quite a bit of admin, but I'm a whizz with spreadsheets and actually like reading through annual reports for charities (sad I know), so would be willing to help on this if this is the way you decide to go.
    We would love to have only checked rescues on here, so we can be 100% sure that animals were going to the RIGHT rescues but that would mean we only have a few rescues and less animals would get helped.

We have also learn't in the past that being a registered charity doesn't mean they are a better rescue than one that isn't, prime example would be the registered rescue here in Oxfordshire that had most of its animals taken away by the RSPCA because they were not caring for the animals to the highest standards yet rather worryingly they were registered . Talking to other registered charity's that are rescues I have heard that no one has been to see their rescues they just have to submit paper work if they take in more than a certain amount but if they don't they don't even have to submit any paper work of accounts, so how does the charity commission know that they are a good rescue?.

We at Animal Lifeline UK will help any rescue as long as they do things RIGHT, we have also helped many new rescues starting up their rescues over the last few years to do things right in their rescue from giving advise right down to doing them Handover forms, homing agreements and home checking forms etc , we believe in helping the new rescues because hopefully they will than be around for a long time and we can then know that it is perfectly safe to send animals into their care.

I like the idea of having a grading system or star rating of rescues we work with, I think it would have to be hidden away from everyone as not to course bad feeling with rescues that don't do everything quite right, it would certainly also help us the staff At Animal Lifeline UK to know which rescues are better than others.

As for needing a lot of Animal Lifeline UK staff sadly we only have a few of us which means a lot of things we would like to do don't get done as much because we are far to busy sorting rescue placements for animals at most risk

Ideally it would be nice to have people on the team that could do the following

1. Cross post animals in rescues that have asked us to cross post their animals onto this forum
    2. Cross post things onto facebook and twitter and other sites we find help from.
    3. Go through the classifieds contacting people wanting to adopt an animal to see if they would adopt from a rescue instead
    4. Help to match people wanting animals to one in rescue

Its only by doing the above that we are really going to help rescues and free up space for them so they are able to take more animals in for us, we are fully aware they are drowning in animals and would really like to be able to do the above to be able to help them more.

5. some one who can help to get more awareness of what we do to recruit new volunteers willing to help with things like Home checking, Transport, fostering this person perhaps could design new posters etc that we could have on here for people to print and put in their local shops, library's etc
    6. Someone to help purely with transport runs , because I am hopeless with maps and do struggle to sort these out sometimes
    7. Someone to purely help with sorting fostering homes, this person would need to arrange home checks as well to make sure all these foster homes are checked.
    8. Someone to help with fund raising to help us to reach the £5000 mark and to register as a registered charity as we have already been told by some very well know companies in the past that they would support us once we do, which would open up some many more doors for us.
    9.Some one to purely help new members to work their way around the site as I know a lot of new members struggle to find their way round and so don't come on as much.
    10. Some chatter boxes to be here to answer peoples questions and start some conversations on here, especially in the evenings as that is the time most of the staff are not here, this is partly because we have our own family and pets we have to spend time with but just lately we are so exhausted from sorting so many animals out that we are to tired. In the last about 6 weeks we have been up some nights into the early hours of the morning sorting animals which have mostly been pound dogs that are at risk of being put to sleep if we can't sort them rescues and transport requests.

6.We could really do with someone who likes making posters to do some posters for us of animals needing homes in rescues and posters about us and the automatic email system for the Dizzy dogs day we are doing on the 8th Sept

if we had help to do these things then that would give Sally and myself more time to sort urgent animal requests out.

What we need most of all is people on board that are as passionate about Animal Lifeline UK and what we do if we are to make this place really take off and work.
    Kelly-joy Sargent Part of The Animal Lifeline UK Team
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by KumfyKatz Rescue View Post
    Feel free come and check out KumfyKatz Rescue anytime KJ.

We have nothing to hide.

Kettle will be on too (not that we would ever want to bribe you with a nice hot cuppa or anything)...

RSPCA came yesterday, for our licence to work more closely with them, and we passed their check, so.....

Come on over!
    Gill , you are welcome to come sit on my kitchen floor again too
    Kelly-joy Sargent Part of The Animal Lifeline UK Team
    [email protected]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12